Tuesday, November 2, 2010

30 Thankful Days: Day 2

Today I am thankful for tissues. We've had a lot of nose blowing going on around here. Having something soft to use on our sore, red little noses is a blessing and I'm grateful for it. Along with that, I am grateful for modern medicine. It is so nice to have tylenol to help my fussy babies fever and pains and Vaper rub to help them breath (and Nyquil for me). I can't imagine being afraid of losing my daughters every time they caught a cold like they did in the olden days (oh, and I'm also glad that the whole leech business died a long time ago, blech!).

I'm grateful for all of the times that my mom dealt with me in such a kind and loving way when I was sick. Having two little fussy/whinny ones right now is putting me at my wits end, and I am more grateful now for how patient my mother was with me then. I remember her sitting quietly with me in my bed and softly stroking my hair until I fell asleep.  She would bring me the red rubber hot water bag, filled up and put at my feet, and bring the electric pad to put on my tummy (which had a very distinct smell, probably that of a linen closet, but I'd recognize it anywhere). So thank you mom, for all of those sleepless nights when I was sick. You are such an amazing example of love and compassion. I hope I can grow up to be like you. I love you.

Wow... all that from starting out being grateful for tissues... speaking of which, I need another one.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Aw cute. I'm glad you're doing this too. Your mom is a great mom and you are too! I'm grateful for all those things and fresh running water too! Great ideas. Hope your girls (and you) start feeling better soon!

Hayley and Josh said...

I totally should do this too because I have been feeling ornery all the time too!

Day one: I am grateful that I am not alone in my ornery-ness. :) Well, that does feel good.

Tina said...

I'm sorry you're all sick! No fun! I, too, am glad for modern medicine! By the way, leech therapy is still around. A couple years ago, I had a patient that was being treated with them. It definitely isn't very common. And I'm glad of that!