Sunday, November 7, 2010

30 Thankful Days: Day 7

Brownies. 

Especially today... very grateful for the warm chocolatey goodness I just pulled out of the oven. 

Not just any brownies though... THE {made from scratch} Newey Brownies.

THE BEST BROWNIES EVER!!!

I was going to take a picture to show you, but... umm... yeah. They're gone. 
Sorry.


For those of you who want to discover for yourself that these brownies 
are much better than any boxed mix.
Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 oz unsweetened chocolate squares
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350º. In a medium sized pot melt together butter and chocolate (be careful not to scorch). Remove from heat, add sugar and vanilla. Mix in eggs separately and stir well. Mix in flour. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake for 35 minutes. This is excellent doubled, just bake in 9x13 pan if you do. 

Let me know if you try them. 
You'll be so glad you did.

*use THIS brand of unsweetened chocolate... you can find it anywhere.

6 comments:

Deb said...

Mmmmmmmmm Newey brownies are the best!

Tina said...

Ooh, very tempting! I will have to try out the recipe! It sounds gooey, and divine!

Ali said...

I'm so glad you put the recipe up. We're going to try it.

Brooke said...

Heh. I made a double batch of these at Mom's house on Friday night. Mmmm, chocolatey.

Although, have you noticed -- the newer edition of the cookbook has you putting in an extra 1/4 cup of flour (making 3/4 total) which helps give the brownies a little bit more chewiness; they're less likely to collapse in the oven. Since my 1960s oven is really finicky and collapses nearly EVERYTHING, I've come to rely on the extra flour.

Whoo. Too much flour talk. Signing off now.

Momma Twitch said...

I'm TOTALLY going to make these! Ok, so tell me if my memory's correct, but your mom made an awesome caramel popcorn didn't she?

Deb said...

Hope you're not giving up on me Liz! I need you to do this 30 days of thankfulness thingie to keep me going too! Plus you have great ideas and are inspiring... Hope to see more soon! :)