Saturday, September 25, 2010

You won't believe it...

I hardly believe it myself. 

8.26 miles 
With hills...big ones... without stopping. 

Well, I did take a 3 minute potty and hydration break at around 3.5 miles, but I don't count it as stopping. 
I didn't even feel like I needed a break, but knew there wouldn't be another bathroom break along the way. 

I don't know how I made it up some of those hills. They seemed so never ending. I'm sure people passing me wondered why I didn't just stop and walk... it may have been faster... 
but I was determined not. to. stop. 

After this distance
I think I can announce that I am running a half marathon on December 5th 
(its a little no name race in State College, PA... but I don't care, its something to work toward)
I know that I can do it... even if it takes me 3+ hours to run it. 

My knees do feel pretty tender now... hopefully they don't get too sore. 
Some of those hills were pretty rough on them. 
I need to do some strength training to build up the muscles around them to prevent any serious injuries. 
Hopefully I can lose a little {or a lot} more weight before December so that each run won't be as hard on my knees. I know that is the main source of the problem/pain. 

Anyway, sorry to post about all of my long runs. 
I just have to post about it so I can track my progress and see how far I am coming. 

Thanks for all of the love and support. I sure need it. 

12 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

THAT'S AWESOME LIZ!! Keep it up! Love ya!

Lizzie said...

Thanks Wendy! I'll try. :)

Momma Twitch said...

GO LIZ!!!!! I'm so proud of you! Run some miles for me. :)

Deb said...

That is crazy! Man, I wish I had your stamina! Youre doing great, good luck with the marathon. I still don't understand how you get to go running with the girls - I have to take june in the stroller and she only lets me go 2 miles tops. :(

Lizzie said...

Oh, I don't run with the girls. I have to get up before Ryan goes to school (which is usually at 5:30am depending on how far I go). Saturdays are nice though because I can "sleep in" and get up at like 6:30-7ish and Ryan will take care of the girls for me while I'm gone.

We only have a single jogging stroller (which doesn't work anymore, I think the frame got bent during our move) anyway... I don't think either Sarah or Abby would be good for that long on a run. No way, now how. I think when Sarah was June's age I maxed her out at about 3 miles. I know Ryan and I did a couple of 5K's with her. But that was with lots of snacks and a BIG drink to last her the whole time.

Anyway, I hate having to get up early to do my runs, I am so not a morning person. But running at night makes me so nervous. In the mornings there are lots of other runners, and it is getting lighter as I go. One day we'll be able to afford a nice treadmill (to replace our broken one) and I'll be able to do some of my runs at home. But for now... this is my only option. And I have to take it.

Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...

You're so good! You'll do a great job on your half marathon! Aden's is this Saturday and the longest he's run is 7k..... hmmmm...

James and Talai Macfarlane said...

So fantastic!! I am so happy for you!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

You are AMAZING!!!

Carolyn said...

Wow. It's been too long since I ready your blog. I didn't know you were running so much. I am VERY impressed. I hate running, but I hear that once you get into it it gets enjoyable, at least somewhat. Maybe someday I'll try.

Jennifer said...

I'm always impressed with people that run. I have never been a runner, and don't see it happening any time in my future. LOL So you go girl!! I love it!

Alisha said...

Way to go! I'm totally impressed/inspired. Maybe someday I'll be as cool as you. Seriously.

Tina said...

I wouldn't be apologizing if I could run like you! Nice job! Keep up the hard work! I'm sure it is hard to get out of bed some days, but I'm sure you feel so good when you start the day that way. You can do it!