Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Two Days and Counting!

Until G'ma Lisa comes to visit. 

We are just so excited. 

It is terrible, I use this information to get Sarah to be cooperative. Is that bad? 

"Sarah, do you want G'ma Lisa to come and visit?"
"Yes Way" (Sarah's been saying 'yes way" and more annoyingly 'no way' to just about everything)
"Then you need to help clean up."

Speaking of "If you want that, then you need to do this first" moments, I have to share one that made me laugh today. The Relief Society at my church was teaching a cake decorating class today. I have always been fascinated with those who can decorate cakes, so I decided I better not miss this activity. Sarah was on one, and didn't want to play in the nursery with the other kids. So, I decided, I'd let her taste the yummy frosting and then tell her that if she was good and went and played with toys, that I would make her a cake. The resulted in a classic Sarah scowl followed by "NO WAY!" I drug her over to the nursery, kicking and screaming and had to tell her about three or four times that she had to play with the toys before I would make her a cake. What a terrible deal for her right? Playing with toys = mom makes me a cake. *sigh* What am I going to do with her. 

Anyway, back to the real purpose behind this post! G'ma Lisa coming to visit. 

I have been so excited and anxious about getting the house ready for a visitor. We moved Sarah and Abby into the same room a couple of months ago and turned the teeny-tiny third bedroom into a study/sewing room. Then over spring break I found a set of bunk beds and decided we should put Sarah's old bed in the third bedroom so it could be a guest room. 

It honestly looks like a dorm room. Cramped with room for only a bed and desk (oh yeah, and we even have a white board hanging on the wall - Ta-cky!). AND, it really felt like a dorm room to me because the comforter that I threw on there was the same one I used in college. It was driving me more than a little batty. 

(Small tidbit about this quilt, most of the fabric I used were leftover scraps from old outfits my mom made me when I was little, fun huh?)

See? Cute, but not very "guest room" -ish. No Shams, decorative pillows, the busy-ness of the quilt isn't very relaxing... which after a day of playing with Sarah and Abby, you will definitely want to relax. 


So... I used a Small $35 Target gift card that I had to buy a quilt/sham set (stretched that baby and even got a set of sheets too, much better than the two king sized flat sheets that I had on their before). It was a little too grandma-ish for me, so I had to throw some flavor in there. 

And can you guess what fabric I used?


Yup, I am addicted. I just love it. It makes my heart happy. 

The Flavor.


Aren't they so cute! 

I stole the idea from my favorite craft blog, and put my own little twist on them. 


I think the ties are just so fun. 


I LOVE the way the ruffles turned out on the bigger yellow one. I used a sheer satin-ish fabric that I got with some upholstery fabric off of Freecycle. It was probably planned to be a curtain liner or something. But it is really loving its home on my pillow! And, I had an old shirt that matched perfect so I cut it up for the matching flowers (which I may be addicted to those little flowers, they are cute and easy to whip up)



Definitely a HUGE improvement from the dorm room look before. 
And bonus, all of the fabric that I used I already had. I felt very resourceful. 


Okay, anyone else want to come visit ?

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Liz, I LOVE it. I love that fabric and the colors you did the pillows in. You are such a creative little Momma! You did a fantastic job! I am sure Grandma will feel very peaceful after a long day of playing with your cute girls. ;)

Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...

So cute! Can you come visit me and re-do my guest bed? And teach me how to make those cute pillows! I'll make sure Aden doesn't read this because then I'll feel a little un-talented when he calls you "Miss Domesticated" again!

Alisha said...

So cute! Good job on those pillows, they look awesome!

Melissa said...

SUPER cute Liz. You are so talented and I'm always impressed by the projects and crafts you post on your blog. You need to move back to Utah so you can teach me all you know!

Amber said...

SUPER CUTE! I wish I could sew. I can't - Is there a place/blog you check out for cute "to-dos"? Those flowers on the pillows are cute and I've seen some things called "yo-yos" I want to add them to a shirt for my daughter.
Thanks!

Brooke said...

I do! I do! I want to come and visit!

[waves hand in air]

But it's Brian who gets to visit this year . . . you know he's coming out in August to go to a conference and check on your house, right? He's going to try and paint the deck while he's there, so pray for dry weather (hahahahahaha).

I'll make sure he compliments you profusely on those super-cute pillows. You are amazing!

Deb said...

Liz! This is awesome! Will you come do my house? I definitely want to come visit and sleep in that cute bed. Pat can sleep on the floor. :)

mom said...

You are so amazing! I love the colors and the pillows are darling. I know Granma Lisa will love that room. Can't wait til I can use it!

Lizzie said...

Awe Shucks everyone. You are so nice. I am really enjoying them, glad you thought they were cute too!

Ashley said...

Great work on the whole set up. And the pillows turned out darling. Glad that worked out so well for you. Thanks for the link!

Ashley