Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Language


Language
Current mood:  ecstatic
Okay I know...two blogs in one day? I am sorry, I just have a lot on my mind. Even though my end goal is to be a Speech Pathologist...I LOVE PSYCHOLOGY!!! I mean it completely fascinates me. I signed up to take a brand new class called the Psychology of Language and it is all about Psycholinguistics. It is amazing to try to uncover how the brain works the way it does.
Think about it. Language is everywhere. I am not talking about speech persay, but language as a means of communication. Why is there such an immense desire to communicate with other people? How do we acutally learn to speak? Its kind of one of those things that you can give yourself a headache thinking about after too long. I am completely inthralled with this class. The best part is that it is an open discussion class. So we do some reading at homel, and then just come in and talk about any feelings, thoughts or questions that we had on the matter. Each of us takes a turn being the "discussion leader" and next week it is me. I can't wait! I want to really find some interesting tangents to talk about. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!
Now I have to buy a book about Noam Chomsky. I knew he was a pychology nerd...but I didn't know that his main focus was psycholinguistics!!! I don't know if I will have time to read it during the semester...darn it!
If you ever have a chance to study up on the subject of linguistis or psycholinguistics do...it is really interesting!

0 comments: